Kasabian - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum (June 8, 2009)

Oh my God.. oh my God… With their first record they impressed critics and music lovers and shaked up the brit-pop; after the outcome of disappointing Escare, i forgot their name; but the new album… OMG!
West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum is like a rock album should be made: some hits, some piece that makes you lose yourself on the dancefloor and a ballad that leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
But now let’s start from the title: West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum refers to an historical insane asylum founded in 1818 in the Yorkshire. In fact this album is like an Asylum where you can find everything.
The Kasabian exceded!
Scraggy riff and warm drums, “Kill me if you dare/ Hold my head up everywhere/ Keep myself right on this train”: that’s the first song Underdog.
Where did all the love go? it’s a very nice episode, but is too much inspired by Gorillaz sound (compare it with Feel Good Inc.). That’s no wonder if you think of the producer being Dan "the Automator" Nakamura from Gorillaz!
The next track Swarfiga is the most controversial one. Only 2 minutes of experimental electro is just a little more than an interlude, but not a real song… mumble mumble… it perplexes me totally!
Fast fuse is a bomb! “Come get me / All you people can't touch me /
I'm a hooligan cry, shy, sit down tight, / It don't matter / give me one, two, three / come light in the skylight / come light me in the sky”, while in Take him the beat slows down and the sound becomes “gallagherian” .
The next Thick as thieves changes one more time the ambience, like a soundtrack, using messican strings.
Days drift into one / It's so pretty / Travelling we'll burys Polly's photofits / And this stolen car / Is loaded with junk / It's so dirty / He'll be the death of me / But that's ok wrote Mr. Pizzorno in the West Rider Silver Bullet which called the actress Rosario Dawson for a performance in this psychedelic song.
Vlad The Impaler is my favorite track: hammering bass, strong beat and lyrics deal with the cruel impalement used by Vlad II: You can't miss me I'm still alive / Snake skin shoes I'm pleading omicide / Come on and feel this I'm still alive / Joker meet you on the other side.
After this adrenaline overdose, the ballad Ladies and Gentlemen fits perfectly in the album (No matter what you do, you know / The world it keeps on turning /
We never feel a thing / Come on and meet me at the Carnival). It seems a perfect end for this masterwork, but like I said bifore, Kasabian exceeded and there are other 3 songs as well: Secret alphabet, Happiness but, above all, the single Fire!
Shake me into the night and I’m an easy lover / Take me into the fight and I’m an easy brother / And I’m on fire
Impossibile to stay fixed in place listening this hit!


I have never been a Kasabian’s fan, but this album is something special, as honest tribute to 90’s and obviously to England.

The best is the way that West Ryder leaves us:

Save what you got
Keep it safe
Don't ever stop
It's nothing more
It's nothing less
It's all I got
It's happiness

Happiness!

Ciao Belli!
Giorgio


RATING: ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☺ 4,5 / 5

Tracklist:

1.Underdog
2.Where Did All the Love Go?
3.Swarfiga
4.Fast Fuse
5.Take Aim
6.Thick As Thieves
7.West Ryder Silver Bullet
8.Vlad the Impaler
9.Ladies and Gentlemen (Roll the Dice)
10.Secret Alphabets
11.Fire
12.Happiness

GIGS:

Guildhall, Southampton, UK
Thu 2nd Jul, 2009

Centre, Newport, UK
Fri 3rd Jul, 2009

Eden Sessions, Cornwall, UK
Sat 4th Jul, 2009

Guildhall, Portsmouth, UK
Mon 6th Jul, 2009

Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK
Tue 7th Jul, 2009

Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Thu 9th Jul, 2009

Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Sat 11th Jul, 2009

Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Sun 12th Jul, 2009

Brixton Academy, London, UK
Thu 16th Jul, 2009

Brixton Academy, London, UK
Fri 17th Jul, 2009

Roundhouse, London, UK
Wed 22nd Jul, 2009

Civic Hall, Wolverhampton, UK
Mon 24th Aug, 2009

Civic Hall, Wolverhampton, UK
Tue 25th Aug, 2009


2 comments:

Manu said...

hmmm, it's interesting that Kasabians are so close with Gallagher brothers and meanwhile cooperate with Dan the Automator from Gorillaz, Damons' project :)))...

Giorgio said...

yeah Manu you are right! just think about a new show together... Kasabian and Oasis... 31th august in Milan! wonderful!! :D